Still on the fence about putting your small business on social media? It’s time to get off! There are plenty of reasons why small business needs social media:
Your customers are already using it, even if you aren’t.
Using social media gives you the chance to meet your customers where they are. That’s important for several reasons.
- You can join the conversations your customers are having about your company. This is a tremendous opportunity. If a customer made a complaint online you can respond online with sympathy and offers of help offline. That shows other potential clients that you’re serious about providing good customer service. You will build a reputation for excellent customer service.
- Social media is a great source of word-of-mouth marketing. Some have called social media “word of mouth on steroids.” The truth of that statement is debatable, but think about it – how many reviews have you read while doing research on a purchase? I read before I buy for tons of things, even for things as simple as lipstick. Reviews and customer opinions have always been the meat of word of mouth but now that they’re online and easy to find? In my opinion, that’s where the “on steroids” part comes in.
- It’s a chance to make your brand more recognizable. The Internet is noisy, so being able to cut through the clutter to reach your customers is vital. Social media can help by showing the personality of your business. It can forge an emotional connection with your customers. All this can help you stand out online, showing what makes you unique and how you stand out from the competition.
- You can gather real-time business intelligence, straight from your customers’ mouths (well, fingers). Feedback straight from the clients can help you improve your products and services. If you’re running a marketing campaign, customer insights can give you indications of success or that you need to adjust your tactics.
- Social media lets you interact and engage with your customers, which helps foster all-important relationships. That, in a nutshell, is the whole point of social media.
If you do business online, social media has more benefits
- Social media helps with search engine optimization (SEO). The more your company’s profile moves up in Google rankings, the better for your business. People looking for your products and services will find you so much easier. Being active on social media generates more links customers can use to find you.
- Using social media gives you the opportunity to drive traffic to your website. If you sell a product or service on your website, you can send people right to your product page(s) to make purchasing as easy as possible. Pinterest, in particular, is a huge driver of website traffic and purchase referrals.
Still having doubts? Here’s one last reason:
- Both Facebook and Twitter are introducing “buy” buttons. They’re in the testing phases now, but when this feature rolls out completely, people will be able to buy directly from the social media feed. Relationship building is the whole point of social media, but having sales come straight from the networking sites can’t hurt.